Thursday, July 27, 2017

Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde

When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.

Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Reese Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.

While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.

Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.




Rating: 1/5 Stars



”We need to get that girl into project Leda so she can clone herself; that way she’ll be able to do all this press stuff and still have time for us.”


description

description

*in disbelief*Project Leda? Seriously??? If you're going to use an Orphan Black reference would it kill you to do it right??


I know I said I wasn’t going to write a review for this book, and I really meant it. BUT after a day of careful and thoughtful reflection (aka mumbling to myself incoherent rants about why this book sucks while my mom looks at me worriedly) I decided that I’M PISSED and I want to rant even though nobody will listen/read me. So here I go.

First, I just want to clarify that I came into this book with high expectations okay? I didn’t read it because I thought I would be pissed or anything, I honestly thought this would be a book I would love! Queens of Geek is about three friends that go to SupaCon and we get to see each of their stories; Charlie is a youtuber and actress that is promoting her first movie, Taylor is her best friend and Tumblr blogger who goes to the convention to meet her favorite author, and Jamie… is Taylor’s love interest… yeah, there wasn’t much of a story for him. So basically is about two girls and their love stories.

I guess I wanted to write this review because Queens of Geek has an average of 4.21 rating from my friends, and when I was (stalking) checking out one star reviews there were only twenty. TWENTY one star ratings in a total of two thousand?? Way to rub in my face that I’m in the 1% of people who didn’t absolutely worship a book… again. How is that possible? Really!

Not to say that Queens of Geek is a horrible book, I honestly loved the beginning and I thought it was going to be a great book. I identified with Taylor the most, the way she described being with people, how she got overload with noises and images… I sometimes had to put the book down because I was overwhelming myself. 

The book tries to tackle issues about bisexuality, the autism spectrum, misogyny, etc and I would generally love that except… it was so fucking unnatural.

The best way to describe this book would be “soulless combination of random Tumblr posts” and there really is no other way to describe it. The author tries to take these important themes and talk about them but she does them in a very shallow and inconsequential way that it was impossible for me to take it seriously. She just writes very basic stuff that ANYBODY should know by now, doesn’t add a plot and basically brings over the same subjects without giving them any depth over and over again. 
At first I thought it was cool, I mean I love to read about this stuff but after it gets repeated forty times with no changes, no anecdotes and nothing to learn from the characters (other than bully is bad, really obvious shit). I just have to say it, Charlie and Taylor weren’t characters on their own, they were caricatures, cardboard copies of Tumblr stereotypes that somehow made it on a book and we are supposed to be happy about it *throws confetti*

After the fifty percent mark everything started to annoy me, and it didn’t help that all the fandom references were either wrong or incredibly cliché (way to be more Tumblr and mention Destiel, seriously). There were so many things that the author got wrong not just about the fandoms but about how Youtube works (Are you really going to tell me that a massively popular geeky lesbian youtuber is surprised that trolls exist? People are shit, especially in youtube in real life trolls would make up half of her comment section IF not more).

I didn’t found Queens of Geek to be enlightening, refreshing or liberating. For me this book was nothing but a bunch of overused cardboard stereotypes that tried to teach me basic shit I already know (seriously, I mean is there anybody who read this book and discovered something new? I feel like if I had read it when I was a teen and was totally clueless it might have helped, but the soulless writing would have surely put me off even then).

In the end, I know I’m on the minority here guys so if you wanted to read this book before you read my review don’t let me discourage you from it. I’m just a grumpy old lady ina twenty-two year old body.

No comments:

Post a Comment