Saturday, July 22, 2017

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?



Rating: 3/5 Stars


“I am dramatic,” said Will.
-An Infernal Devices Summary.


My thoughts:

Aaaaaaand it’s finished, I completed the trilogy and… I’m not really sure how to feel. On the one hand, some things ended too perfect and “happily ever after” to my taste, on the other there were a couple of heartbreaking moments that brought me nearly to tears. 

I guess I’ll just rant as usual.

Tessa was, for some reason, more insufferable to me in this last book. I don’t like hating the heroines because… well it’s their stories! But there were so many moments in which I wanted to reach across the pages and slap Tessa. There were so many obvious things that she should have done, so many ways for the conflicts to end that would take little effort from her and yet ???????? why didn’t she do any of that stuff? Tessa has the power to transform into anybody/thing and instead of using it to her advantage (hello? Vampire strength??) she remains Tessa!! And when she does transform she somehow messes that up. Then we have moments when she stops being passive and makes a decision!... Only for it to be a very obviously wrong one.

What have I done? She thought as the automaton began to push her from the room. My God, what have I done?


I did not like how things went between her, Jem and Will. I’ve said it before, that for Tessa it seems like Jem is a second choice, someone who comes after Will and that was painfully clear in this last book. Every moment she would think of Will and forget about Jem.

And GOD! When Will and Tessa thought Jem was dead, the first thing they do is have sex?! HOW IS THAT GOING TO FIX ANYTHING?? I was horrified all throughout that scene “Are they gonna do it? Please don’t do it-Fuck, they did it”. Why don’t they just go and have sex right on top of Jem’s grave? I’m sure his body was still warm enough to keep them cozy, ugh

Cecily was Will’s younger sister and the very definition of an OC character. Her introduction at the end of Clockwork Prince made for an interesting cliffhanger, but her potential was soon wasted. Why was she in the story other than to be Gabriel Lightwood’s forced love interest? There’s no reasonable explanation on why she went to find Will; sure she wanted to bring him back home because she thought Shadowhunters had brain-washed him… but why now? Why, if she’s always thought this did she decide to come right at the end of the second book? Was one of their parents sick? Had she finally found evidence of something and that made up her mind? Basically what I’m asking is what is the catalyst of her decision? There is none, and that shows in the construction of her character. She added nothing to the plot other than even more gushing about Will.

Jem MY PRECIOUS BABY! God, he knew what Will and Tessa had done but forgave them because it hurt him too much. They don’t deserve you (okay maybe Will does) and I wish we had seen more of you other than in the epilogue. My issue with the romance is that it keeps us readers from knowing more about the characters. I for one, would have loved to know more about Jem and Will as well as their friendship, but I did not care how thorn Tessa was between the two of them. Take the romance out of the equation and this could have been great (at least for me).

Alas, the trilogy has come to a conclusion. I can’t say I’m completely satisfied because some things were too perfect and neatly wrapped up to be realistic (I hated that Tessa didn’t technically had to make a choice) but it was an ending that will satisfy people if they have loved the previous books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment