Monday, August 3, 2015

Evernight by Caludia Gray

Bianca wants to escape. 

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas he warns her to be careful--even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart...and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.









My rating: 3.5/5



Evernight is a difficult book for me to rate, I read it a couple of years ago, and it was the first series a friend recommended to me. Back in the day (I was 16, so weird!) I loved it, and devoured every book in one go. It's important to mention that i had just discovered that books could actually be enjoyable rather than school assignments, that's right I had never read a book for pleasure before *gasps* and the first book I loved had been Twilight *double gasps*, needless to say that, as I grew older and my knowledge expand more my tastes changed, and so did my thoughts on this series of books. Hence my predicament when writing this review, should I write what I thought back then or what I think now?
Eventually, I settled for both:

Evernight is about Bianca, a girl who, thanks to her parents' new job as teacher in the Evernight school, she has now to live and study there, complete with a new popular roommate that doesn’t get along with shy Bianca. But before her first day of school, when she tries to escape she meets Lucas, he’s kind, funny and strangely mysterious, and soon the two of them will be caught up in the mysteries lying inside of the Evernight academy.

At first, I didn’t like Bianca very much. she spent her entire life with her parents, never had any friends or get to know a lot of people, and so her whole life revolved around being their daughter, she was their child and Bianca was happy living a kind of spoiled life, her parents showered with gifts and attention, she was their world but, when they decide to take her to Evernight so she can be with people her own age, Bianca cries and whinnes about the injustice of it all, she doesn't have her parents' undivided attention and that pissed her off, sending her to try and escape before the first day in an attempt at rebeldy that quickly dies out. She was immature, selfish and afraid, and it didn't exactly made me love her.

The romance between her and Lucas was fun at times, because it let us see a different side of Bianca, more mature and respectful, but it was also very intense for kids their age, and they barely knew each other which made the romance a bit hard to believe. Bianca and Lucas are always calling themselves "Mine" You are mine. He's mine. I'm yours. A whole bunch of possessive stuff that didn't suit very well with me, they were just kids!

There is a plot twist that I didn’t see coming, and although it was shocking and I loved it back then, now I’m not such a fan of it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I prefer when the mysteries are treaded carefully into the plot and once the twist occur you can go back and see how it all ties neatly together, how the clues were always there and suddenly it all makes sense. This book treats the twist differently, it takes the rug from under you in one swift movement and everything you knew changes. In order for this to happen, information, crucial information is kept from the reader.

I think this is a really good book about vampires that can entertain many, but the characters and some of the plots didn’t suit very well with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment