Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass


When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.







My rating: 5/5

“It’s a rare day indeed when someone thanks you for bringing them to their death.” 

This is by far one of the easiest five stars I have ever given.

Little I can say and praise A Court Of Thorns And Roses without spoiling it entirely, suffice it to say it’s one of those books that stays with you for a long time after you have read them, not just for its characters and its story, but for the message behind it.

Forgive me if I’m getting a bit emotional but in my defense this book is to blame. I know ACOTAR is marked as NA for its sexy scenes, but what really defined it for me as meant for an adult audience were the trials and what Feyre has to go through, which as I said, I can’t spoil.

I saw reviews before I started reading that claimed ACOTAR could be a bit boring or slow in its pace, and after trying it out for myself I can say I understand why that could happen (or at least I can say I understand why it happened to me) and here is my little attempt at explaining why that could be.

The book starts with Feyre hunting in the woods, her family is poor and it is during winter that they suffer the hunger the most, that is what led her to walk deeper into the forest and closer to the wall that separates the human world from Prythian, the Fae realm that was separated from them after the war in which humans gained their freedom. The treaty is what keeps the Fae from attacking, and the wall is made as a safety that no human could be dragged to their lands against their will.

While hunting, Feyre comes across a fairy in the form of an enormous wolf. Afraid for her life and enraged by centuries of their oppression, she kills him and skins him off his fur. However, and unaware to her there was a rule in the treaty that prevents humans from taking Fae lives unprovoked, and as a Fae beast finds her he gives her a choice. Feyre can either die by his hand and repay the life she took with her own, or she can live in Prythian for the rest of her life.

So she chooses to die. The end.

Nah I’m just kidding, but here is where the fun begins and also where the confusion and slow pace starts.

You see, when Feyre arrives she has no one to trust, no idea of what to do and no chance to really do anything.

She can’t talk or pretty much trust any fairy since they all want her dead, remember humans used to be slaves. She can’t go back to her home, since the rules says she can either stay or die, and even if she managed to escape there are other fairies out of the state that would gladly kill her, slowly and painfully. But there are people who could kill her just for being there and… you see where the problem lays.

At this point in the book is where things start to get messy because virtually any choice will get her killed or her family and as the secrets around her get thicker, Feyre is more confused than ever. This is where the novel gets slower and I promise it will all make sense eventually, but right at that point the confusion is necessary.

I was surprised, however at how Nesta and her family was dealt with, and that shows Sarah j. Mass gifted ability when it comes to characters.

This was my first book by Sarah J. Mass, and after reading it I'm not only looking forward to the sequel (There's no date, no title or cover?? Why??!!) but also to her other books, Throne of Glass here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment